We took this opportunity to make the cake we created for Aunty Serene to celebrate her birthday. They are gluten-free because she is gluten intolerant. She loves minty flavours (she buys us lots of Mint Kit-Kat) and cheese (we have many cheese parties together).
She is a fun person to be with and she is our favourite person to go to Hong Kong Disneyland with! She is also our best taste-tester when we bake!
Recipes for the cake & frosting adapted from Benjamin Wong’s Cupcakes with Attitude.
Gluten-free Chocolate Cupcake
Recipe makes 12-15 cupcakes
- 225g sugar
- 130g plain gluten-free flour
- 60g cocoa powder
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- pinch salt
- 1 egg
- 125ml milk
- 4 Tbsp vegetable oil (we use olive oil)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 125ml boiling water
- 1 bag of mini chocolate mints of your choice
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees centigrade. Line cupcake tray with cupcake liners.
- Combine sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl and mix well.
- Add egg, milk, oil and vanilla extract and beat well.
- Gently stir in boiling water.
- Pour batter into cupcake liners until 2/3 full. The batter will be watery (we put ours into a measure cup and pour it into the cases).
- Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven. Push a piece of mint chocolate candy into the centre of the cupcake.
- Bake for another 5 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean (when tested on the cake, not the candy).
- Remove from the oven and allow to sit for 5 minutes before removing from the tray and placing on a wire rack to cool.
- Cool completely before frosting.
Mint Marscapone Frosting
- 250g Marscapone Cheese
- 50g icing sugar
- 2 tsp peppermint extract
- Beat marscapone cheese and half the sugar until soft & creamy. Taste and add more sugar to taste.
- Add in the peppermint extract and mix well. Add more or less peppermint depending on taste.