We used to go on Easter Egg Hunts when I was little. I wanted to make a cupcake that reminds me of these Egg Hunt: a cupcake that tastes like Spring and is fun. -Jo-
Vanilla Cupcake, (makes about 10-12 cupcakes)
- 125g unsalted butter
- 125g castor sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 pinch of salt
- 125g self-rising flour
- 2 Tbsp milk
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees centigrade.
- Line cupcake tray with liners.
- Cream the softened butter with the sugar until well-mixed.
- Add eggs and beat till well-blended, light & fluffy.
- Add vanilla extract & salt.
- Fold in flour; stop when batter is well-mixed.
- Add milk & mix well.
- Spoon batter into cupcake liners till about 3/4 full.
- Bake for 20-25 min.
- Remove from oven and cool for about 5min before transferring to wire rack.
1 Tbsp lemon zest
- 3/4 cup fresh lemon juice (3-4 large lemons)
- 165g sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs + 4 large egg yolks
- 57g butter, chopped into pieces
- In a small saucepan, stir together lemon zest, lemon juice, sugar, and salt. Cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes, or until the sugar and salt have dissolved.
- In a medium bowl beat together 3 eggs and 4 egg yolks. Whisk it very well.
- When the liquid on the stove is ready, slowly pour some of it into the bowl with the eggs, whisking constantly.
- Return the pot to the stove and add the rest of the eggs while stirring. If you don’t stir you may curdle your eggs.
- Continue to whisk over medium heat for about 5 minutes, or until the mixture has thickened. When you drag your whisk over the top of the mixture, it should leave marks.
- Pour the curd through a mesh strainer into a new bowl.
- Stir the chopped butter into the lemon curd until it’s completely melted.
- Press a square of plastic wrap directly on top of the lemon curd. If you just cover the bowl, you will get a film on your curd.
- Refrigerate until cold, about 2-4 hours. It will thicken up as it cools.
- Transfer to an airtight container. Keeps for 1-2 weeks.
Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- 200g unsalted butter
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 200g icing sugar
- 1 pinch of salt
- 85g cocoa powder
- 4 Tbsp water or milk
- Cream the softened butter.
- Add vanilla extract and mix well.
- Add icing sugar, salt and cocoa powder, and combine well.
- Gradually add water or milk to obtain the right consistency.
Assembling the cakes
- Spread chilled lemon curd on top of the cooled cupcakes.
- Pipe on the chocolate buttercream in circles to look like nests.
- Put chocolate eggs on top to complete the bird’s nest.