This cupcake is inspired by my Grandparents & Bangkok. We went during the Easter holidays this past April 2017. My grandparents introduced me lots of different foods while I was there. The mangoes we had were very sweet and the bananas very tasty; I think I had both every single day I was there.
Thank you, Grandparents, for a fantastic trip: it was time for family and being together again!
We tweaked our original concoction: we decided to make a plain banana cupcake (no coconut) and a coconut marscapone frosting (no mango puree). For our mango topping, we decided to make a sugar glaze for the fresh mango pieces.
We adapted Benjamin Wong’s banana cupcake & marscapone frosting recipes from Cupcakes with Attitude. We picked up the fruit glaze recipe from supersimplekitchen.blogspot.sg
Banana Cupcake, (makes about 12 cupcakes)
- 125g unsalted butter
- 125g brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 125g self-rising flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2-3 small ripe bananas (about 80g)
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees centigrade.
- Line cupcake tray with liners.
- Cream the softened butter with the sugar until well-mixed.
- Add eggs and beat till well-blended, light & fluffy.
- Fold in flour & cinnamon until just mixed.
- Mash the bananas in a bowl. Fold gently into the batter until just mixed.
- Spoon batter into cupcake liners till about 3/4 full.
- Bake for 25 min.
- Remove from oven and cool for about 5min before transferring to wire rack.
- 3/4 cup of water
- 1/2 tsp lime (or lemon) juice
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- Put ingredients in a small pot over a medium fire.
- Stir until thickened (about 5 minutes).
- Take off the fire and cool.
Coconut Marscapone Frosting
- 250g marscapone
- 50g icing sugar
- 4 tsp Kara coconut powder
- Cream the marscapone.
- Add the icing sugar and coconut powder. Mix well.
Putting it All Together
- Frost the cupcakes with the marscapone frosting.
- Cut up a Thai mango in to small chunks.
- Quickly stir the mango through the syrup and strain the mango pieces.
- Decorate the cupcakes with the mango pieces & with other decoration, as desired (we used chocolate balls).