Christmas is our favourite holiday. I took this inspiration of candy canes because they remind me of Chrismas magic. The red and white colour, and its shape are very Christmassy. The minty taste is what Christmas treats taste like to me. And they remind me of the most important part of the season: the gift of giving.
Brownies are one of my favourite treats. We put them together to come up with a treat we could share with our family & friends. We hope you enjoy it! Love, Jo
Adapted from Fat Witch Brownies by Patricia Helding.
- 170g melted butter
- 67g cocoa powder
- 350g sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tsp peppermint essence
- 130g flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Grease or line a 9in by 9in baking pan. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees centigrade.
- In a small saucepan, heat the butter over low heat until just melted (not browned). Set aside to cool for 5 min.
- Pour butter into a large mixing bowl.
- Add the cocoa powder and sugar. Mix till well-blended.
- Add eggs one at a time, mixing after each, until the mixture smooth and shiny.
- Add the peppermint essence until mixed well.
- Measure in the flour and salt into the batter. Fold until there is no trace of the dry ingredients (do not overmix).
- Spread the mixture evenly into the baking pan.
- Bake for 30 min or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean, or with only crumbs, not batter, on it.
- Cool on a rack for about an hour. Cut just before serving.