Janey is my Baking Friend. She is fun to bake with because she has new recipes to try out, like Doggie Treats, super cupcakes, super brownies! She gave me good ideas for how to make vegan & other special goodies. I made this birthday cupcake for her to show my love & appreciation for her. They are vegan & gluten-free so her family can also enjoy them! ~Jo~
Very Chocolatey Cupcakes
- 1 Tbsp ground flax mixed with 3 Tbsp water
- 225g sugar
- 130g gluten-free flour (we use Orgran All-Purpose Gluten-free)
- 60g cocoa powder
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 125 ml nut milk (we use almond)
- 4 Tbsp vegetable oil (we use olive oil)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 125 ml boiling water
- Pre-heat the over to 180 degrees centigrade. Line muffin trays with cupcake liners.
- Mix the flaxseed with the 3 Tbsp of water.
- Combine sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda & salt in a bowl. Mix well.
- Add flaxseed mixture, milk, oil & vanilla extract. Beat well until glossy.
- Gently stir in the boiling water.
- Pour the liquid batter into the cupcake liners until about 2/3 full.
- Bake for 35 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let the cupcakes sit in the tray for about 5 minutes.
- Remove cupcakes from the tray & place on wire rack to cool completely before frosting.
- Frost with Vegan Chocolate Buttercream.
Very Chocolatey Buttercream
- 200g vegan butter (we use Nuttelex)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 200g icing sugar
- 85g cocoa powder
- 4 Tbsp water
- Cream the butter until light & creamy.
- Add vanilla extract & mix well.
- Sift in icing sugar & cocoa powder. Combine well.
- Gradually add water, a little a time, beating it in. Stop when you achieve the desired consistency.
Today is my sister’s birthday. She inspires me in my favourite things: for my fashion paper dolls, she buys me lots of pretty paper; in Maths, she helps me to get my homework right; in Baking, she gives me ideas for new cupcakes and sometimes bakes with me.
I have created a Yuzu Cupcake for her because she loves yuzu! Happy Birthday, Meg!
Continue reading “A tart Yuzu Cupcake for my Older Sister”
The month of November is a season of being thankful. We celebrate many birthdays: Dad, Por Por, Godma, Aunty Kem and Aunty Janice. We are grateful for them in our lives!
I am also excited because every Thanksgiving we go to Aunty Janey’s home. Aunty Janey is a great baking friend. This cupcake is inspired by the pumpkin pie she makes. Pumpkins also remind me of Fall, so this is a good time to make it.
Hope you enjoy this tasty cake! Love, Jo Continue reading “Thanksgiving: Pumpkin Cupcakes with Maple Syrup Frosting”
This is a cupcake inspired by Dad’s whisky; he loves sharing it with his friends. Dad loves anything chocolate, especially dark chocolate. Dad says, chocolate is whisky food! Happy Birthday, Dad! Love, Jo.
Continue reading “Grownup Chocolate Whisky Cupcakes for Dad”
To my Mommy: I just wanted to say, Happy Mothers Day!
This cupcake is for you and all Mothers around the world! I hope you enjoy the raspberry cream and the strawberry cake. Berries are fun and remind me of the things we do together. Pink is also a good colour for sending love!
l hope you enjoy your day. You are my light! Hugs to you! Love, Jo Continue reading “Celebrating Mothers: very pink Strawberry Cupcake with Raspberry Cream”
This cupcake is inspired by Grandpa’s love of raisins. Mom told me he used to like eating Rum & Raisin ice cream. I created this cupcake for his birthday; seeing him smile made my day.
Thank you for being our favourite Fisherman! Happy Birthday, Grandpa! Love, Jo
Continue reading “Rum & Raisin Cupcakes”
We took this opportunity to make the cake we created for Aunty Serene to celebrate her birthday. They are gluten-free because she is gluten intolerant. She loves minty flavours (she buys us lots of Mint Kit-Kat) and cheese (we have many cheese parties together). Continue reading “Chocolate Mint Surprise (Gluten-free cupcakes)”