To my Mommy: I just wanted to say, Happy Mothers Day!
This cupcake is for you and all Mothers around the world! I hope you enjoy the raspberry cream and the strawberry cake. Berries are fun and remind me of the things we do together. Pink is also a good colour for sending love!
l hope you enjoy your day. You are my light! Hugs to you! Love, Jo
We changed our original design on this cake. Instead of the butterfly cupcake design we had planned, we went with a more traditional cupcake look. The challenge was to fill the cake with as much of the more-ish raspberry cream as possible while keeping as much cake as we could. We decided to top it off with a tart lemon-y glaze. Recipe for strawberry cupcake is from Benjamin Wong’s Cupcakes with Attitude.
Strawberry Cupcakes (makes 12 cupcakes)
- 165g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 100g fresh or frozen (thawed) strawberries
- 4 Tbsp milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 125g unsalted butter
- 200g sugar
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 egg whites
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees centigrade.
- Line muffin tray with cupcake liners.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt together. Set aside.
- Blitz strawberries in a blender.
- Combine milk, vanilla extract and strawberry puree in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar until well combined.
- Add egg & egg whites. Beat till light and fluffy.
- Add half the flour mixture (prepared in step #3) then the strawberry mixture (prepared in step #5). Combine well.
- Add the remaining flour mixture and beat until batter is well mixed.
- Spoon batter into cupcake liners slightly more than 3/4 full. The batter will not rise much.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes. Remove from oven and let the cupcakes sit in the muffin tin for about 5 minutes.
- Remove cupcakes from the tray and place on wire rack to cool.
Raspberry Cream (recipe from Ben Wong)
- 125g heavy cream (fat content approx. 35%)
- 2 Tbsp icing sugar
- 50g sour cream
- lemon zest (1 lemon)
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup raspberries (Ben recommended frozen; we used fresh)
- Chill a large bowl (for whisking the heavy cream).
- Beat heavy cream until softpeaks (handheld whisk)
- Add sour cream, zest & vanilla. Continue to beat until combined.
- Fold in raspberries.
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice (about 1/2 lemon)
- 100g icing sugar
- Add icing sugar to the lemon juice and mix well until a smooth consistency is reached.
- For a thicker glaze, add more sugar. If it is too thick, add a little more lemon juice.
Putting it Together
- When the cupcakes are completely cooled, cut a cone shape out.
- Fill the cavity with a generous amount of the raspberry cream.
- Gently replace the cone onto the cream.
- Drizzle with lemon glaze.
- Decorate as desired (we used gummy butterflies from Marks & Spencers).