Christmas is our favourite holiday. I took this inspiration of candy canes because they remind me of Chrismas magic. The red and white colour, and its shape are very Christmassy. The minty taste is what Christmas treats taste like to me. And they remind me of the most important part of the season: the gift of giving.
Brownies are one of my favourite treats. We put them together to come up with a treat we could share with our family & friends. We hope you enjoy it! Love, Jo
Adapted from Fat Witch Brownies by Patricia Helding.
- 170g melted butter
- 67g cocoa powder
- 350g sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tsp peppermint essence
- 130g flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Grease or line a 9in by 9in baking pan. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees centigrade.
- In a small saucepan, heat the butter over low heat until just melted (not browned). Set aside to cool for 5 min.
- Pour butter into a large mixing bowl.
- Add the cocoa powder and sugar. Mix till well-blended.
- Add eggs one at a time, mixing after each, until the mixture smooth and shiny.
- Add the peppermint essence until mixed well.
- Measure in the flour and salt into the batter. Fold until there is no trace of the dry ingredients (do not overmix).
- Spread the mixture evenly into the baking pan.
- Bake for 30 min or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean, or with only crumbs, not batter, on it.
- Cool on a rack for about an hour. Cut just before serving.
Today is my sister’s birthday. She inspires me in my favourite things: for my fashion paper dolls, she buys me lots of pretty paper; in Maths, she helps me to get my homework right; in Baking, she gives me ideas for new cupcakes and sometimes bakes with me.
I have created a Yuzu Cupcake for her because she loves yuzu! Happy Birthday, Meg!
Continue reading “A tart Yuzu Cupcake for my Older Sister”
The month of November is a season of being thankful. We celebrate many birthdays: Dad, Por Por, Godma, Aunty Kem and Aunty Janice. We are grateful for them in our lives!
I am also excited because every Thanksgiving we go to Aunty Janey’s home. Aunty Janey is a great baking friend. This cupcake is inspired by the pumpkin pie she makes. Pumpkins also remind me of Fall, so this is a good time to make it.
Hope you enjoy this tasty cake! Love, Jo Continue reading “Thanksgiving: Pumpkin Cupcakes with Maple Syrup Frosting”
This is a cupcake inspired by Dad’s whisky; he loves sharing it with his friends. Dad loves anything chocolate, especially dark chocolate. Dad says, chocolate is whisky food! Happy Birthday, Dad! Love, Jo.
Continue reading “Grownup Chocolate Whisky Cupcakes for Dad”
It will be Halloween soon, and I have never made ghost-y cupcakes before. So I decided this year I would try. These cute cupcakes are for some spooky fun. Hope you enjoy them. Trick or Treat! Love, Jo Continue reading “Cute Halloween Cupcakes”
To my Mommy: I just wanted to say, Happy Mothers Day!
This cupcake is for you and all Mothers around the world! I hope you enjoy the raspberry cream and the strawberry cake. Berries are fun and remind me of the things we do together. Pink is also a good colour for sending love!
l hope you enjoy your day. You are my light! Hugs to you! Love, Jo Continue reading “Celebrating Mothers: very pink Strawberry Cupcake with Raspberry Cream”